Monday, September 8, 2008

the Seahawks

Oi vay...does anybody have an Alka-Seltzer?

What a disappointing season opener for my beloved Seattle Seahawks. It was their seventh on-the-road season opener in ten seasons, and the 3,000-ish miles they travelled to get there (believe me, I know how grueling THAT flight is) could not have helped. I'm not making excuses...I'm just saying.

We have a fairly young and inexperienced offense this season. And special teams? Eesh...The Buffalo Bills (whom I never liked, even as I was growing up in Upstate New York) just took advantage of our weakness. We had them on first downs (16-13) but we just could not get the job done. Said our fearless leader, Coach Mike Holmgren: "We didn't play very well today, I think, but we'll get better." Oh Michael...I certainly hope so.

Our awesome quarterback, the awesome Matt Hasselbeck, got awesomely sacked an awesome 5 times for 23 yards. Awesome. He made 17 out of 41 passes for 190 yards. Awesome. Wait...awesome means "crap", right? Oh, it doesn't? Well, you know what I mean...

Our running game sucked. 85 yards on 21 carries? Eesh...Mo Morris (31 yards on 6 carries) left the game in the 3rd quarter with a knee injury. Nate Burleson (our one and only TD reception) also left in the 3rd with a knee injury. But the 3rd quarter wasn't ALL bad...Olindo Mare got a sweet-sweet 45 yard field goal...ahhh, a little too little, a little too late. The Bills scored 14 points in 25 seconds.

And then there was the tease. Late in the game, we made an impressive drive down the field and got inside the Bills' 5 yard line, and then...choked. Incomplete passes to Jordan Kent on 3rd and 4th downs sent all hopes of a not-as-bad-beating down the shitter. And what was the deal with Seneca Wallace signaling for a fair catch on his first shot at a punt return in the NFL??? His second shot got him nowhere. Although, we did manage to block a Bills 52-yard field goal attempt and leave them scoreless in the 4th as well, but by then, the damage was done, and we lost the game, 34-10.

Well, we're at home next week, and we face the 49ers. And we're at home the following week, and we face the Rams. *eye roll* I may have to take up another Sunday hobby. Or, I need to drink more so I don't give a rat's ass.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

No comments: